Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The coolness in the air puts me in the mood to cook, bake and try new things. We have already had Taco Soup, beef stew and Molasses Cookies. And yesterday I was off work and boy did the kitchen look like a mad chef had been cooking. I made the following recipe for a breakfast casserole. I am enjoying it now, yum. Even took Mom and Dad 1/2 for this morning.
And by the way I halved the recipe and it still made 2- 8x 8 pans.
I love to pass along new recipes , enjoy!

1 loaf of white bread
2 cans cherry pie filling
2 blocks cream cheese
1 cup sugar- divided
2 tsp almond extract- divided
1/2 loaf french bread ( I used left over hamburger buns)
7 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup half and half
1/4 cup powered sugar
1 cup sliced almonds
Cut white bread into one inch cubes and place into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
Spread cherries over the cubed bread.
Microwave cream cheese and mix well with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Spread over cherries.
Cut French bread into one inch cubes and place on cream cheese mixture.
Beat eggs, add sugar and remaining extract and milk and cream. mix well.
Pour over french bread and cover.
Place in the fridge overnight.
Preheat oven @ 350 degrees
Bake covered with foil for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with powered sugar and almonds.
Yum...
I might try it with apples next.

No comments: