Thursday, May 15, 2008

Join me over at " Fro me to you" for Thursday Fun.

http://www.wearethatfamily.com/
This is my grandmother house. There is a porch swing, and I am standing on the other side of the street, taking the picture. This is a very close community. Do you see the deck on the side of the house, we added this just a few years before this picture was taken. But that area is where we fought over who was going to sit on the ice cream freezer. It was always a place of honor. We had our folding lawn chairs, all sit in a circle, waiting for the cream to freeze.
We always played on this side of the house in the shade.
by dusty dark we were all sitting on the screened in porch. we would talk to the neighbors that walked past. I remember alot of people walked, to, any where.
This picture was taken about 9 years ago, after we left the cemetery.
I am glad I took pictures of this house.
I had alot of good memories there.
Since it has been sold, chanced, improved, I am sure.
But to me this is the way I want to remember my grandmother house.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, if houses could talk...
Fun memories!

DD said...

Oh man you made me hungry for some homemade icecream... yummers!

Thanks for the read,
Well Behaved Krissy

Happy Mommy said...

My family moved from the family home last year, I am also so thankful for all the photos!

Valarie Lea said...

Beautiful Memories :)

I love the sound of an ice cream maker, it brings back so many good memories. :)

Kristen said...

Oh, that picture reminds me of my Grandmother's little house. (She died last month). I'm glad you took it-what a priceless memory!

Thanks so much for playing along!

Darla said...

I love photographs like that. Sweet.

The Apron Queen said...

We almost bought my husband's grandparents house after his grandmother's death. It had too many memories to just go to someone who was going to update it & modernize it. We went by it once after it sold. Big mistake. We should have just kept our memories in our minds & our photos. So many special things had been changed. Nothing better than days spent at Grandma's.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Alicia said...

How is that a picture of a house can evoke such powerful memories? I don't know, but I am so glad for the photos we took of my grandma's house before she passed. Your photo reminds me so much of them. There is just something about those old places.

j said...

Aw Jerri. That was a really sweet post. I remember homemade ice cream at my Nanny's, but it isn't the best memory. They ALWAYS had to make a fruity ice cream, and never vanilla. Usually banana for my grandfather. Girl, I can make my OWN ice cream now.


I just never do.

Jen

j said...

ACK! I just noticed the new blog look! WOWZER! and a Feejit thing a ma bob.

Uptown Jerri!

I am running on now - My blog jog marathon MUST continue!!

Jennifer

Tammy said...

I have not been to one of my grandmother's homes in a few years, but I can still visualize almost everything. It was one of my favorite spend the night spots of my childhood.

"If these walls could talk"