Tuesday, April 07, 2009


Let's Bake some Cookies!
I have tried to find a recipe for Tea Cakes for many years.
My aunt Toots and grandmother Doty baked them.
They were YUM!
A good childhood memory.
Grandmother is gone, so the recipe went with her,
Aunt Toots has given me the recipe and it doesn't seem quite right.
She is getting on in years, as my grandmother would say.
So I searched, and tried many times to duplicate these wonderful tea cakes.
I think I have it.
The ultimate test is.....
Daddy.
He says they are darn close.
So here is the recipe.
Enjoy!
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Combine the sugar and butter in mixing bowl, beating until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time. Beating well after each addition. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, salt, and nutmeg. Add to cream mixture and mix well.
Drop by spoonful onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.


4 comments:

Jeanette said...

You know, I remember Granny Baba would make these, put them in little bundles and hand them out at Halloween. I LOVE them too.... simple goodness. Thanks Jerri, and thanks Aunt Toots!!

Keetha Broyles said...

I've never heard of them before, but they sure do look yummy!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I.LOVE.TEACAKE COOKIES.
I think b/c they arent to sweet. Ok, send me some of those. GIrl...if I had gotten a wiff of those baking while I was in your area (all steak) I would've found my way to your house. Next time, we will have to meet and "junque" together!

www.welovequilting.com said...

A friend of mine gave me her great somebody's recipe. She claims it is 200 years old. I know I could eat them for the next 200 years they are so good. I love to put lemon flavoring in mine.

Do you think you will ever find your aunt's cracker recipe? I would love to have that.

Thank Chris